By Thu Ngo
I’ve always had mixed feelings about Kat Von D’s eye shadows – I love the packaging and artwork, and some of the shadows apply and blend beautifully, but there are also some real disappointments as well. Having recently purchased her Poetica palette, which I really loved, I was super excited to see her brand new Mi Vida Loca palette:
KVD’s shadows tend towards darker, smokier colors (seriously, how many blackened colors does a person need?), so I loved, loved, loved the idea of a super-bright palette. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it and give it a try.
Mi Vida Loca has 8 colors and comes with a small-sized Autograph eye pencil in Wonderchild.
- Swan Song is a duochrome shimmery vanilla color with a pink sheen. This was such a lovely surprise because it just looks plain cream in the pan – I didn’t know it was duochrome until I swatched it.
- Marya is a shimmery cotton candy pink. This was the most pigmented color of the palette.
- No Regrets is fuschia with a slight metallic sheen.
- Drama for Yo Momma is a matte grape-purple. I was the most disappointed in this one, because it’s so beautiful in the pan, but is so sheer when swatched.
- Mad Max is a sort of matte electric-blue-but-darker. Also sheer and powdery.
- Dublin is a grass-green. It has a sheen to it.
- Sparklehorse is a shimmery yellow-gold.
- Altruism is a shimmery pale gold.
- Wonderchild is a navy blue with a hint of sparkle to it and a metallic sheen.
Overall, I’m a little less excited about how these colors swatched. Though I LOVE Swan Song (I’m such a sucker for duochromes), I’m disappointed that the four center colors went on so sheer – I had to pack on quite a bit of shadow for the swatch photo below. Compared to, say, Sugarpill’s pressed shadows, these fall quite a bit short in pigmentation and texture.
But if you’re a KVD fan and you want all your brights in one easy-to-carry palette and you don’t mind working a little bit harder to get your color, then you’ll love this palette. It’s packaged in a sturdy metal case with a LARGE mirror and looks quite impressive. I just wish the shadows lived up to the packaging.
The Mi Vida Loca palette, along with all other Kat Von D’s line of products, is available exclusively at Sephora.