Painted Ladies has just turned 4 years old and in honor of this occasion I had a thought to begin a new weekly feature all about you, the faithful and awesome readers of this beauty blog. The feature will be called Painted Ladies Presents … and it’s an opportunity to share your blog, small business, or other creative venture, which I, for one, am really looking forward to reading! If you’d like to be featured, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re kicking off the series with Melissa Whitman from melissawhitman.com and Kitsap Vegan. Welcome, Melissa!
- What’s your name?: Melissa Whitman
- Your business name or blog name: melissawhitman.com – I know, I’m so creative! I also just started a new site with my hubby called Kitsap Vegan, it doesn’t have a lot of content yet, but we’re working on it!
- Where can we find you on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Google +/Pinterest? www.facebook.com/melissawhitmandotcom, I haven’t ventured over to the other sites yet, not sure if I will. I love hearing from people and chatting them, but I don’t think I have the time to really be present on ALL those sites!
- What is your blog all about? melissawhitman.com is about natural and organic living with a focus on bath and beauty products. I do reviews and post recipes for how to make your own products at home. I also love to do giveaways when I can get awesome companies to provide a prize. I have done food recipes in the past, but now those posts will be exclusively on Kitsap Vegan.
- When and why did you get started with/ your business or blog? I started it a few years ago, I think at the end of 2011, because I wanted to have a space where I could share my experiences with natural and organic products. I started creating my own recipes for things like body butter and shaving cream. I am a housewife, which means I have a lot of time to mess around with ingredients and experiment. I know a lot of people don’t have that time so I figured it would be really great to be able to put my recipes and reviews out there for others to benefit from. I also just really enjoy trying out new products and telling people about the ones I love. Plus, it’s a way to get my family and friends to learn more about using natural products and avoiding chemicals without me being an annoying little bug in their ear. They get to keep up with what I’m doing and hopefully learn about some great products to buy or make instead of the conventional, chemical filled products they have been using.
- What are your inspirations? That’s a tough one. I get inspired by so many things. I love to paint and photograph things so I get inspired by flowers, plants, mountains, the sky and all things in nature. I get inspired to make teas and home remedies by the abundance of herbs growing in my garden. Recently, I have been making stepping stones for my herb garden with cement and glass gems and I get so many ideas just seeing the colors and how they look next to each other. I love to play around with ingredients and make up my own vegan food recipes. I get inspired by the gorgeous produce I find at the farmer’s market. I must sound like a total earth baby hippie!
- Now, more about you! Since this is a beauty blog, what are your makeup must haves? I don’t think I could live without Vapour Organic Beauty. Seriously some of the best natural makeup I’ve found. The Atmosphere Luminous Foundation is just awesome. It comes in a tube like a really big lipstick so it’s easy to put on and blends really well without a lot of mess. Their Multi-Use Blush is great, too. It also comes in a tube and can be used as blush, lipstick, eyeshadow, whatever! I have it in Spark which is perfect for my cheeks and Courtesan is gorgeous as a lipstick. I use Gabriel mascara. Black, of course! Zuzu Luxe lip gloss in Cosmopolitan is my go-to for quick lip color and shine- it lives in my purse. Then there are the numerous companies who make absolutely stunning mineral eye shadows: Sweet Libertine Mineral Cosmetics, Nessa’s Naturals, Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques, Etniq Mineral Cosmetics, Orglamix and I just bought a grab bag from Madison Street Beauty that had some really great matte colors- do you know how hard it is to find matte colors in a mineral makeup? Now if only I could find a natural eyelid primer that actually works!
- Do you have anything else you’d like to share with Painted Ladies readers? Being a blogger is definitely a labor of love. I don’t get paid to do what I do, I do it because I want to, because I want to share the knowledge I have gained with as many people as I can reach. I love blogging because it gives me the chance to talk to people I never would have met otherwise. So if you are thinking of contacting me or any other blogger- just do it! If they are anything like me they will be so happy that you took the time to give your opinion, ask a question, tell them they are doing a good job or just to say hi!