By Monika Cancilla
Since the beginning of my all natural makeover, I’ve learned one thing. Finding natural, organic, environmentally
responsible beauty products that lives up to their claims is like finding a needle in a haystack. I’ve tried countless products in search of new holy grails to replace my old, chemical laden ones. So far, there are only a few products that I can recommend, and a few products I feel like I should steer you away from. Like, far away. So without further ado…
1. Burt’s Bees lip products: They all rule. Get as many as you can! Go!
2. Alba Hawaiian Shampoo and Conditioner with Cocoa Butter: The Shampoo is extra gentle, and the Conditioner is thick and moisturizing. Bonus: They smell like coconut!
3. Alba Very Emollient Cream Shave: This stuff is awesomesauce. No need to moisturize after shaving and it comes in a variety of scents, as well as unscented.
4: Alba Medium Hold Hair Spray: It does the job and holds all day.
5. Yes to Cucumbers Facial Towelettes: Great after a long day when you just can’t manage to wash your face. Also great for the gym.
6. MyChelle Sun Sheild SPF 28: This is a great, unscented facial sunscreen. I am VERY acne prone and this didn’t make be break out at all.
All of these products are cruelty-free and are made by environmentally and chemically aware companies (I checked!)
1. Andalou Naturals Cleansing Milk: I wanted to love this stuff. It’s creamy and smells like peaches, but it made me break out so now I use it as shaving cream. I think it would be great for those who aren’t acne-prone and like creamy cleaners.
2. Griffin Remedy Leave-in Treatment: Not very impressive. I really can’t feel a difference when this is in my hair. I’m using it up because I spent $10 on it.
3. Dr Hauschka Mascara in Black: Here is my eye before
…and here is my eye with Dr. Hauschka Mascara
Can you see it? It’s very, very light. Since it doesn’t work well with contact lenses, here is how I view the world with it on.
I don’t know about you, but I find it very frustrating not being able to see. After about 3 weeks of putting up with this, I retired this mascara to the “only in an emergency” makeup drawer. Did I mention this stuff was $26? (facepalm)
4. MyChelle Concealer in Creme: A little greasy. Shiny, even. I compared it with my Maybelline Age-rewind conceler and, well, Maybelline won.
Garnier Fructis Style Smoothing Cream: I felt like I had play-doh in my hair. Not a good feeling. Pass.
Mineral Fusion Mascara in Black: Goes on thick and clumpy,
and at the end of the day, I looked like Rocky the Raccoon on meth.
Not cute! Unless you are into the heroin chic look, I’d pass on this one.
So, it seems the general theme here is that great, natural body products are easy to come by, but the cosmetics require a bit more searching. So far I haven’t found any that stack up to my current favorites.
Tell me ladies and gents, what are your favorite all natural cosmetics?