I have had both the regular and honey version for awhile, and decided to do them both in one review:
- Price: $3
- Moisture level: Lightweight
- Scent: Regular is a very strong peppermint scent, honey is rather perfume-y and odd
- Flavor: Regular is minty and honey doesn’t taste like much
- SPF factor: No
- Color: Colorless
- Texture: Both are light, absorb quickly and feel smooth
- Organic? Yes
- Irritating ingredients (camphor, menthol, phenol)? No, but I have heard peppermint can be potentially irritating and the regular version contains it.
- Packaging/application: Standard twist-up tube
- Good for daytime or before bed? Both, but I’d use it for the day
- Availability: burtsbees.com
Burt’s Bees lip balms have always been a little light for my taste. They somehow don’t feel as emollient as some of the other lighter weight balms I’ve reviewed this week. Still, the regular is one I reach for quite a bit because that peppermint flavor and sensation is so refreshing. (Hint: I find it even makes my mouth feel fresher!)
The honey version is smooth and feels good, but the scent is just ick. It’s heavy and doesn’t remind me of honey at all, but rather perfume of some kind. Although it is probably a better option for moisturizing than the regular version since it doesn’t contain peppermint (a potentially irritating ingredient from what I’ve read), I don’t reach for it nearly as often.
If you need light moisture and have no sensitivities to peppermint, I think you’d like the regular. If fragrance isn’t an issue, the honey would be fine too. I love the fact that they’re organic and have very short ingredients lists. As I remember, Burt’s was one of the first brands that actually cared about what went into their products, something I really admire.