1. If they are a much cheaper price, beware! There are plenty of businesses that advertise “eyelash extensions” at very inexpensive rates. These are not the hair by hair application as described above, but rather clusters of false lashes applied to the base of the lashes. This is actually damaging to the lashes, as eyelashes are all on different growth cycles, so if lashes are stuck together with glue, when a mature lash sheds, it can pull out other lashes prematurely with it. So make sure the place you are going is applying them lash by lash. The process should take at least 1.5 hours, so anything less than that is also an indication that you are not getting the real thing.
2. They do not last 8 weeks, as some companies advertise. I mean yes, technically after 8 weeks you will have some lashes left, but they will be extremely sparse. To maintain eyelash extensions you need touchups every 2-4 weeks due to natural shedding, depending on care, and type of lash used.
3. If you do get extensions, taking good care of them and not touching them alot really helps them wear longer and better. You can gently clean them with baby shampoo diluted with water. Avoid gel eyeliners and mascara. If done properly you should not need to wear mascara ever!
4. Ask to see photos of actual clients of the technician. Stock photos of lash extensions are no indication of what type of work this person does. Their photos should show lashes that look clean, not clumpy, and you should not see any adhesive.
5. You can swim in them, so they are great for a beach vacation. Just make sure to wait a full 24 hours before you get them wet.
Eyelash extensions, when done properly, can significantly improve a woman’s look, in addition to having the added convenience of rolling out of bed looking beautiful every day!