By Monika Cancilla
Hello Ladies! In the past week or so of my Au Naturale makeover, I’ve discovered a few more awesome natural products to share with you that actually work!
Crystal Stick Deodorant
It may not technically be a beauty product, but this deodorant is so great that I had to spread the word. Crystal stick deodorant is really just a bar of natural mineral salts that neutralizes bacteria to prevent body odor. Just wet with water and apply. It works on underarms, feet, and anywhere else you may need it. I always feel dry (even though it isn’t an anti-antiperspirant) and it doesn’t leave white streaks on your clothes.
Crystal stick deodorant is:
• Hypoallergenic and unscented
• Gentle on skin
• Never tested on animals
• Recommended by cancer treatment centers nationwide (<—awesome!)
• Contains no Aluminum Chlorohydrate, Aluminum Zirconium, Phthalates or Parabens
Not to mention, it costs about $6 and one stick last for a year! How’s that for natural, cheap and effective?
The Oil Cleaning Method
Yes, I was skeptical of this too, but trust me. Trust.
I have acne prone skin, and have since I was about 18. I’ve been on Accutane, anti-biotics, birth control, and many topical medications to get my skin under control. It took years. Imagine my horror when I heard that women were actually washing their face with OIL.
Yes, oil. Oil is actually a very effective, natural, gentle skin cleanser and has been used for thousands of years. Different oils work for different skin types (see list below) and I have found that after washing my face with the Oil Cleansing method for 2 weeks, my skin really does look and feel better. It feels softer, looks happier, and no I haven’t broken out once. It also removes eye makeup, even liquid eyeliner and waterproof mascara.
Your preferred oil should be mixed with Castor Oil as a base. Castor oil is very inexpensive and has anti-bacterial properties. It can be drying though, so use more or less depending on your skin type. For example, my current ratio is 1/3 jojoba oil and 2/3 Castor oil.
Best oils to choose from:
• Jojoba (acne-prone skin)
• Sweet almond (oily skin)
• Grape seed (oily skin)
• Avocado (dry and aging skin)
• Sunflower Seed (all skin types)
• Olive (all skin types)
• Apricot Kernel (dry, aging, and normal skin)
So here’s what you do.
1. Mix up your preferred oil combination (I put mine in a squirt bottle)
2. Squeeze about a quarter sized puddle into your hand, rub your hands together, and rub all over your face.
3. Take your time. This feels good! Plus the more you rub, the more dirt you remove.
4. Wet a washcloth with very warm (not hot) water, and place it over your face until it cools.
5. Wipe off.
Viola! That’s it! I like to wet and apply the washcloth a few times just to make sure my face is clean. The washcloth gently exfoliates as well.